Music Educators’ blogs

Joe Pisano at musictech.net is an incredibly proactive blogger! I’m most grateful for his dedicated work and humbled that he’s including me is his project to build a community of music education bloggers. He is a real community guy, not only publishing his own reflections but contributing to the conversations around the music education blog network – except that’s the current ‘hole’ – there is a surprisingly flimsy network of music education bloggers. In other areas of education you find substantial networks (see Classroom 2.0) but us musos are late (as usual).

He’s set up some parameters to get a music education blogger ‘in the club’ (like 2 posts per month and contribute to conversations elsewhere) but I don’t think he’ll be sending the boys round if you miss your targets. This got me reflecting on my own online activity of late; I crashed and burned a few months back when my laptop died. I had no backup of rss and podcast feeds and I’ve been playing catchup ever since. But also my ‘portfolio’ of online activity is now much more disparate than just a single blog.  My string arranging blog, a few wikis, a few more nings (including 2 I manage for student activity) and my institution’s Moodle areas.  (Not to mention Facebook and Myspace)  And then I’m dabbling with Twitter.  So, in my defence your honour, that’s why posts in this blog have been thin on the ground!  But I love being part of the global conversations, ‘cos talking is good!

Here are Joe’s parameters:

1. You must have (or have started) a blog site and not a simple website. 
  2. You must agree to post 2 or more posts per month about a topic that is interesting to you, your students, the music audience as a whole, etc. that related to music education and/or music technology in the classroom environment. Literally, you can almost blog about anything related… the “world is your oyster!”
  3. You must agree to not “covet” your materials and share them with the world under a creative commons license (your pick!).
  4. You must actively participate in our “global conversation” about our field by joining in the conversation with others:
    1. Agreeing to comment on two others ME Bloggers posts per month
    2. Share your blog with others by linking to the other ME Bloggers in either your blogroll or a page of ME Bloggers
    3. Agreeing to answer legitimate quesions by ME Bloggers and others that post questions on your site in a timely manner.
  5. Let me know you exist!  Comment after this post, or visit our contact page!
  6. When you become an ME blogger, post about our campaign as much as you want, tell your friends…we know this is going to be a long haul…let’s take the first step together!

I reckon I’m doing OK with most of those (as long I can include blog posts beyond this blog) – just need to blog roll and rss my disparate online activity in one place, and subscribe to the other group bloggers and get talking!

100 me bloggers

One thought on “Music Educators’ blogs

1. Pete,

Thank you for your support with this project and being one of the original 100 ME bloggers! Your right about me not sending out the “ME Blogger Police” if you don’t keep up with the criterial. I’ve had a number of discussions with colleagues since I originally posted the “criteria” and have since decided to “soften” the requirements so I don’t frighten off any future ME blogger by too many requirements. What I’m really looking for is the “spirit” in a ME Blogger, someone who wants to have a vivid and rich avenue of communication with others in our field. Somebody who is not stagnant but rather wants to grow and reach out to others. We need them, the communication paradigm has shifted and future and current educators need to understand these and utilize these new technological means of information delivery and exposure.

In that spirit, I’ve softened the criteria so as not to exclude anybody for fear they won’t be able to commit to everything.

Here are the main changes:

2. You must agree to post as regulary as you able to about a topic that is interesting to you, your students, the music audience as a whole, etc. that related to music education and/or music technology in the classroom environment. Literally, you can almost blog about anything related… the “world is your oyster!”. I know many of you can’t post every day (I don’t-ok, not usually 😉 ), week, or even couple-to-three weeks, but let’s strive for at least a post a month! 🙂

3. You must agree to not “covet” all your materials and share many of them, freely, with the world so we all can gain from everyone’s expertise and experiences. Of course you are free to copyright your creative works and ideas as you see fit, afterall they’re yours! We are encouraging ME Bloggers to consider using a creative commons license (your pick!) to help them preserve their ideas while allowing others to access them in ways that the ME Bloggers see fit. Becoming a ME Blogger does not in anyway obligate you to give up an of your commercial venues or have everything on your blog “given away anything or everthing for free”. It simply means that you are blogging for the good of music education and that you are part of the global conversation about it! What we are NOT looking for in a ME bloggers is a blog that is specifically designed to sell products and/or services.

Agreeing to comment on other ME Bloggers posts as you are able to and have the ability to contribute or encourage

Share your blog with others by linking to the other ME Bloggers in either your blogroll or a page of ME Bloggers

Agreeing to answer legitimate quesions by ME Bloggers and others that post questions on your site in a timely manner.

The reasons for these changes are numerous but I also think self-evident when you read them and more attractive for a “newbie” or someone who has commercial ties.

I’ve updated the mustech.net/100-me-bloggers page to include those changes just last night! Sorry, I didn’t do it before your post 🙁 and thank you for being part of this new endeavour!

Best regards and thanks,

J. Pisano